ENERGY IN ECOSYTEMS
- The sun is the source of energy for all ecosystems
- One billionth of the suns energy reaches Earth. The distance bewteen the Earth and the Sun is 150 million km.
- The heat generated by the sun is the result of nuclear fusion reactions as the hydronen is fused in helium
- Most of the sun's energy that reaches is in the the form of light and heath bute other forms of radiation are also produced by the sun.
- The Earth’s atmosphere filters out most of the suns harmful radiation (cosmic rays, gamma rays, X-rays, UV) by reflection or absorption of chemicals in the atmosphere.
- The sun’s energy is a renewable energy source.
- 30% of the sun's radiaton is reflected by clouds before it eaches the earth.
- 70% warms the surface of the Earth causing: Water evaporation, weather patterns.
- Albedois a measurement of the percentage of light that an object reflects. The higher the albedo, the greater the object’s ability to reflect sunlight.
The sun's rays reflected by mountains, clouds, etc...