- This is the process whereby living things release the chemical energy in te form of sugar for their use.
- The process occurs inside the cells of living things and requires oxygen.
- Because it cannot occur without oxygen, it is called aerobic respiration.
- Anaerobic respiration, on the other hand, is a process that can occur in the absence of Oxygen.
- The oxygen used by the organisms in this type of respiration has been gained by the organism from its surroundings.
- All of the energy that was stored in the sugar when it was made during photosynthesis is released during aerobic respiration.
- Some of the released energy is radiated from the organism as heat.
Aerobic Respiration can be simplified using the following word equation:
ATP - is a short form for the substance Adenosine Triphosphate
ATP is the molecule responsible for transporting chemical energy within cells.
All living cells make use of ATP for their energy requirements and metabolic functions.
A molecular diagram showing the make up of the substance ATP.
Red = Oxygen & Hydrogen atoms
White = Phosphorous Atoms
Green = Nitrogen Atoms
Grey = Carbon Atoms